Chicken Cordon Bleu is perfect as it is. Elegant and delicious! But, in true Coop fashion, I added a slight Cajun twist. Incorporating a few Cajun spices woke that chicken up! This is my take on a wonderful, French classic! Check out my YouTube video for this recipe. Here, you’ll see step by step instructions. Don’t be intimidated by the fancy title. This entree was a breeze! It was also a lot of fun to make.
You MUST have thin chicken breast, so break out the mallet, Cover the bird with plastic wrap, and beat it like it back talked you or owes you $$ whatever works. Wait, preheat your oven to like 350.. Whatever feels safe. Ok now back to the ? season it.Here’s where my Cajun twist comes in. Add those Cajun spices! Yum
Now grab a slice of ham. Any kind except honey! No sweet meat today! Now a slice of cheese. I used Gruyere because it made me feel special that day, but Swiss works! Roll the chicken and let him chill in the fridge for awhile.
Take him out after 15-20 mins. Throw way that plastic wrap. We can’t eat that, boo! Now, secure him with toothpicks if it’s being a jerk and unrolling.
Plate some breadcrumbs and season it with salt, pepper, onion & garlic powder. Then put an egg and some milk in a bowl (egg wash!) Now, roll that guy in some flour, dip in egg, then breadcrumbs.
Take him over to the stove that should have a hot skillet with a lil oil in it waiting for him, because I mentioned that earlier right? ? Brown ALL four sides of this guy. Then, place him in a greased dish (or leave it in the skillet if it’s an oven safe one) and bake for 15-20 mins or however long it takes until he’s no longer pink inside. But don’t over cook!
Now, I’ll be honest. This sauce was an accident that ended up making sense (story of my life??) But, it’s honestly soooo yummy! So, don’t skip it!
Hope you try this!!!
|Prep Time||20 mins|
|Cook Time||20-30 mins|
|Passive Time||15-20 mins|
- 3 Chicken Breast
- 3 slices Black Forest Ham
- 3 slices Gruyere Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Cajun spices per chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cup flour all purpose or self-rising
- 2-3 cups bread crumbs your preference
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 2 tablespoons garlic and onion powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pint heavy cream
- sliced Gruyere Cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- fresh parsley
- fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Chicken
For the Breading
- Pound out chicken using a mallet or meat tenderizer between two sheets of plastic wrap.
- Season both sides with Cajun spices.
- Spread on the Dijon mustard and layer 1 slice of ham and 1 slice of cheese.
- Roll tightly with the plastic wrap.
- Continue with each breast then refrigerate for 15-20 mins.
- Set up a breading station with 3 different bowls. One for the flour, egg mixture(whisk milk and eggs together), and breadcrumbs.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator and discard plastic wrap, Secure each roll with toothpicks to prevent unrolling.
- Dredge each roll in the flour, then egg mixture, and lastly the breadcrumbs,
- Allow the chicken to rest while you heat the oil in an oven safe skillet.
- Melt butter and saute garlic for 1 min.
- Pour in the heavy cream and bring to a simmer.
- Add cheeses.
- Simmer until cheese melts completely.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Toss in some fresh chopped basil and parsley.