It’s been a rough five days for Louisiana. This massive flood has caused so much devastation. But, Louisiana is full of resilient folks with huge hearts. We’ll help each other through it all. Today, I’m finally back in my kitchen! I filmed my meat sauce for you.
You can make a big batch of this and freeze it. Great for ziti, spaghetti, lasagna, or whatever you need a flavor packed red sauce for. For my vegans, just sub the meat for veggie crumbles. And you can serve this over spaghetti squash!
Homemade Meat Sauce
Write a review
- 1 lb ground beef, turkey, or veggie crumbles
- 1 lb sweet or mild Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 diced onion
- 1 diced bellpepper
- 2-3 cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon each onion & garlic powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Cajun spices (optional)
- dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add oil to pot
- Add onions and peppers
- Saute for 1 min
- Add meat or veggie substitute
- Season with powders and spices
- Brown meat
- Drain fat
- Pour in wine
- Add crushed tomatoes
- Now the brown sugar
- Lower heat, cover leaving a small crack in lid, and simmer on low for 3 hours
- Taste and adjust seasoning
- If too thick, add water. Allow to cool completely before bagging and freezing.
Coop Can Cook https://coopcancook.com/
Theresa AlexanderAugust 18, 2016 at 9:23 am
I really enjoyed it!!!??