I don’t know what it is about cooler weather and Halloween that makes me want Pastalaya. It’s just what I like to eat while watching “Hocus Pocus”. I know I’m not the only one that gets seasonal cravings! If you’ve never heard of Pastalaya, it’s basically Jambalaya with pasta instead of rice. It’s delicious! I love it creamy, so I add a little extra cream. AND it’s a One-Pot dish! You know that’s right up my lazy cooking alley!
Easy, right? And let me tell you! The smell will send your neighbors over to pretend like they need to borrow something. Knowing doggone well they’re just praying that you offer them a plate! Just a warning. This recipe stretches pretty well though. You’ll have some to share.
Traditional Pastalaya doesn’t contain cheese. But, I can’t have pasta without a little cheese. But, it’s optional! You can also switch up the cheese. Use whatever you like. Or don’t use it at all. The flavors from the pepper, onions, seasoning, and sausage are more than enough to make this one of your new favorites!
- 1lb sausage
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1/2 lb chicken breast (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 3-4 green onions
- 2 T minced garlic
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T butter
- 1 lb penne (uncooked)
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can rotel or diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 tsp liquid crab boil
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 T parsley
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded parmesan or fontina cheese
- green onions to garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil
- Add in sliced sausage and cook until browned; remove
- Toss shrimp in liquid crab boil
- Add shrimp to the pot and cook in the sausage grease until they blush; remove
- Season the chicken with onion & garlic powder then add to the pot
- Cook chicken completely; remove
- Diced the onions, green onions, and bell peppers.
- Add them to the pot and saute until tender
- Then add the garlic and saute for 30 secs.
- Pour in the tomatoes.
- Add the sausage, chicken, broth, thyme, parsley, cajun seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil
- Add in the pasta and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 mins
- Uncover, stir, and continue cooking until pasta is tender.
- Pour in the heavy cream and stir.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Add in the cheese and stir until melted.
- Garnish with green onions and serve.