Not one, not two, but three recipes back to back this week!!! I’m on a roll! lol You know I couldn’t let National Pineapple Upside Down Cake Day pass me by! Pineapples make me happy. They’re really my favorite food. Ever. And this cake is super easy! Making it in my cast iron skillet was a breeze!
Easy right?? And so delicious!
Whipping and incorporating the egg whites into the batter separately from the yolks makes a huge difference in the texture of this cake!
I’m loving these sweet food holidays.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Write a review
1 hr 10 min
1 hr 10 min
- 1 20 ounce can of pineapple rings
- 4 T unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- Maraschino cherries
- 1 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 stick of butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Melt butter in 9 inch cast iron skillet
- Stir in sugar then turn off heat and allow to cool for 10 mins
- Arrange the pineapple rings and cherries on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Blend butter and sugar together for 2 mins
- Separate egg yolks from the whites; reserve the whites
- Beat in the egg yolks one at a time
- Add in the vanilla
- Add flour/salt gradually alternating with the liquids (milk and pineapple juice)
- Mix whites in a separate bowl until frothy and stiff peaks form
- Fold the whites into the batter.
- Pour batter over the topping; spread evenly
- Bake for 45-50 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean
- Glide a butter knife around the edge of the cake to loosen it from the sides of the skillet
- Allow to cool for 20 mins
- Flip onto a cake plate
Coop Can Cook https://coopcancook.com/