Yes. You read right.I call them Lazy Roast Beef Po-boys, because we’re not doing any of that long slow cooking of a roast. We’re letting the deli to all of that mess. Besides, I don’t like the pulled beef style po boys. I like the sliced, deli meat. You know, I guess we just call that Hot Roast Beef po-boys or something. Doesn’t matter. The name isn’t important. The taste is!
I’m also showing you how I make an easy brown gravy. You don’t just use this for po-boys. You can use it on potatoes, rice, meat, whatever you want! It’s an easy gravy to whip up without using meat drippings.
Cut open some warm French bread, pile on the toppings, and get messy!! You know, when it comes to Roast Beef Po-boys the messier it is, the better it is!
- 1 lb deli roast beef (thinly sliced)
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 onion (finely diced)
- 6 T all purpose flour
- 3 cups hot water
- 3 tsp beef base
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 loaf french bread
- lettuce and tomatoes
- provolone or swiss cheese
- Melt butter in a saucepan
- Add in onions and saute until browned
- Whisk in the flour and stir for one minute
- Add in onion and garlic powder
- Mix the beef base into the water
- Then, whisk the water into the saucepan
- Bring to a simmer and add in the roast beef
- Lower heat and simmer the roast beef, uncovered for 20 mins.
- Taste and adjust seasoning
- Serve on french bread with desired toppings