My air conditioner is on as I type this. It’s almost 70 degrees today. And tomorrow it’ll probably get down to the 50’s. Typical winter in Louisiana! But, I couldn’t wait on the weather to make soup! I’ve been wanting soup all week! And today, I got in my kitchen and made this heavenly Chicken and Spinach Tortellini soup!
Olive Garden, I want to challenge you to a soup-off! You Zuppa Toscana against my Chicken Tort soup! Let’s go! Seriously, I really believe that this recipe will win it.
I love spinach, so I didn’t even bother chopping it up. I just put handfuls of fresh spinach leaves into my Dutch oven. Oh, and let me tell you that the aromatics from the mirepoix allow was incredible! My kitchen smelled so good while preparing this soup!
And it was very, very easy to make. I always encourage you to either make your own chicken stock or use a chicken base instead of those boxes of chicken broth. It really makes a difference in the end product.
Serve it with some crusty bread and you’ll have the perfect chilly day lunch! Or, turn the AC on like I did and have it year round!
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 T butter
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1-2 celery stalks (diced)
- 3 T flour
- 1 T minced garlic
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups water & 5 tsp chicken base
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 T onion powder
- 1 T garlic powder
- 9 oz package tortellini
- 3-4 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and 1 T onion powder
- Wrap chicken in foil, place on a baking sheet, and bake for 10-15 or until cooked through
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5 mins then chop into bite sized pieces; set aside
- In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil and melt butter
- Add in the onion, celery, and carrots
- Saute for 5-6 mins.
- Add garlic and saute for 30 secs
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir for 2 mins
- Pour in the chicken stock and add in the Italian seasoning, thyme sprigs, onion & garlic powders.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and allow to simmer for 15 mins
- Add in tortellini and refer to package instructions for cooking time; about 7 mins.
- Remove thyme stems
- Pour in the heavy cream and cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the chicken and spinach
- Continue cooking for 4 mins
- Serve with crusty bread