My mother is the TOUGHEST restaurant critic. The lady rarely likes her meal. It never fails. I ask, “Ma, how ya like your food?” The response hardly ever changes. “It’s okay. It’ll do.” Really, Lady? However, there is ONE menu item she always loves. Spin dip! She’s been asking me to recreate it for a while. So, here it is!
This dang dip is…you know what, I just want you to try it for yourself! I use frozen spinach, cause y’all know I’m lazy. If you wanna be better than me, blanch your own fresh spinach with ya bad self!!! I also like using marinaded artichokes instead of the ones in a can. It’s delicious with salsa too.
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY!!! USE FRESH CHEESE! Please! If at all possible, grate and/or shred the cheese yourself. I know I sound repetitive, but it really makes a huge difference! Trust me. What’s your favorite restaurant menu item? Want me to recreate it? Let me know in the comments.
- 10 ounces frozen spinach (thawed and drained well)
- 4 ounces artichoke hearts (roughly chopped)
- 1 T minced garlic
- 2 T butter
- 10 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter
- Add artichokes and saute for 2 mins
- Add heavy cream
- Bring to a simmer
- Stir in cream cheese and broth
- When cream cheese melts add 1/2 cup each of mozzarella. and parmigiano reggiano
- Stir in spinach
- Add in powder(s) and season to taste
- Transfer to oven safe dish
- Top with the remaining cheeses
- Bake for 10-15 mins or until cheese is melted and bubbly
- Allow to cool for at least 10 mins
- Enjoy with chips or toasted baguettes!