It’s that time of the year again!!! Thanksgiving is approaching. I’ve read ALL of your emails and I shall deliver the goods! My Cookies want Thanksgiving food and I’m gonna give Thanksgiving food! Starting with the most requested dish….Seafood dressing!
Cookies, DO NOT USE JIFFY CORNBREAD IN MY DRESSING! I have absolutely nothing against Jiffy. In fact, don’t even use my Sweet Cornbread recipe for this. It’s entirely too sweet for dressing. Use the one I provide in this recipe. I also do not use Sage. However, if you want to add it, it’s your pan of dressing, babe. Personalize it to your taste!
I also prefer a drier dressing. I don’t like it mushy. So, if it’s too dry for your taste, add more broth one 1/2 cup at a time until it’s the texture you desire. I’m only using shrimp and crab meat. You may add crawfish, fish, lobster, etc. Again, this is your dressing. So, make it yours!
I know some of you want a traditional dressing as well. And we’ll do that at a later date. However, it’s not much difference from the way I prepare this seafood version. In regular dressing, I season and boil turkey necks until the meat practicing falls off the bone. That’s what I use as the meat in my dressing along with a few ground up chicken livers.No cream of anythings either. Just stock. And I also add a cup or 2 of cooked, white rice. Follow the same method used in seafood dressing minus the seafood. And there ya have it!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 pan Cornbread (crumbled)
- 1/2 of a 14 oz bag of classic herb stuffing mix (Pepperidge Farm brand)
- 1 lb shrimp (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 lb jumbo lump crab meat (if you love me, you won't buy that imitation crab for my recipe)
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 T minced garlic
- 4 T melted butter
- 1 10 1/2 oz can Cream of Shrimp
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 T liquid crab boil
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 T garlic powder
- Cajun seasoning & black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F
- Mix all ingredients together well.
- Pour into a greased 9 inch pan or cast iron skillet
- Bake for 20-25 mins. or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Finely chop onion, bell pepper, green onions, garlic, and celery. Use a food processor if you have one available.
- In a pan or skillet, saute veggies in 2 T of butter until tender.
- Add in the cream of shrimp and stir until heated
- Mix in the crab meat, seasoning, and liquid crab boil
- In a large bowl, add the crumbled cornbread, herb stuffing mix, and cream mixture.
- Add in remaining melted butter and broth.
- Mix well, taste, and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Fold in the raw shrimp.
- Pour mixture into a buttered 9x13 casserole dish.
- Increase oven temp to 375 degrees F
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 mins.
- Uncover and continue to bake for an additional 5-10 mins or until as brown as desired.
- Allow to cool for 10 mins.