Cookies, I’ve been on a veggie kick. I’ve been craving nothing, but green veggies. Thank God! Oh, hold up. NO, Coop is not baking anything in her oven, okay. That’s not why I’m having cravings. Cut it out. lol
I love green beans. But, I don’t like them with meat. Strange? Probably. But, you know I’m a weirdo already. Don’t worry. I’m showing you to cook delicious Southern-style green beans with and without meat!
Easy, right? I used frozen green beans in this recipe. But, I bought them from my local fruit stand which freezes their fresh green beans without any additives or preservatives. So, the flavor is super fresh tasting even after freezing them! If you’re using fresh green beans, then the cooking time will be longer. Like 1-2 hours longer. And if you’re using canned beans, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEEEE drain that liquid in the can and use fresh water. Why you ask? Just taste that liquid that’s in the cans and see if you still want to cook with it. Come back and tell me about it too.
- 1-2 lb frozen green beans
- 1 diced onion
- bacon ends (as much as you want)
- 2-3 potatoes (cut into 1 inch chunks)
- 2 T butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp chicken base
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 T or to taste Cajun seasoning
- Add bacon ends to a pot set at a medium high temp
- Fry bacon ends until it starts to brown and release grease
- Add in butter and onions
- Saute until onions brown and butter melts
- Add in the water and chicken base
- Bring to a simmer
- Add the green beans, potatoes, and all spices to the pot
- Lower heat, cover, and cook for about 20-25 mins or until potatoes are tender
- Turn off the heat, taste and adjust seasoning
- Omit meat and follow the recipe above. Chicken base may also be omitted.