I had zero intentions of cooking today. But, good things happen sometimes. It’s June and 87 degrees outside today, but I’m making a stew! Thank God for central air conditioning!
First things first, you MUST use my Shrimp Stock recipe for this stew. http://www.coopcancook.com/shrimp-stock/ It’s only right! Store bought Stock is cool, but it just doesn’t compare to the homemade goodness of my rich shrimp stock! Fresh veggies are another must have for seasoning. Leave that frozen stuff out of this!
This stew is delicious! Spicier the better for me! And make it in advance. It’s 100x better the next day! I hope you make it!
Shrimp, Sausage, & Potato Stew
Write a review
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 lb smoked sausage (sliced, browned, and drained of grease)
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1 celery
- 3-4 potatoes
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cups shrimp stock*
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 T garlic powder
- 2 T liquid crab boil
- cajun spices to taste
- fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a pot
- Whisk in flour and 1 T cajun seasoning
- Continue to whisk on medium heat until roux is a dark peanut butter color
- Add in chopped onion, bell pepper, green onions, and celery.
- Stir in sausage and stock
- Add in onion and garlic powders
- Bring to a simmer and lower heat
- Cook, uncovered for 25 mins or until it no longer tastes of flour
- Peel and dice potatoes
- Add them to the stew and cook until tender
- Season to taste
- Toss shrimp in the crab boil and add to the pot
- Continue to simmer until shrimp are cooked
- Add in parsley
- Serve over warm rice
- If stew is too thick, add more stock.
- *I have a shrimp stock recipe. Use type "stock" in the search.
Coop Can Cook https://coopcancook.com/
Patricia EvansJune 30, 2017 at 9:03 am
Thanks for your wonderful cooking ideas, I love stews, soups, gumbo etc anytime of the year! Can’t wait to try …
B. CoopJune 30, 2017 at 11:12 am
It’s my pleasure!