Yes. You read right. Today, we are making Crawfish Beignets! I combined two of Louisiana’s beloved food items. Many traditional recipes for Crawfish Beignets resulted in more of a Crawfish Hushpuppy than a Beignet. So, I challenged myself to come up with an easy recipe that produced fluffy and soft beignets with a spicy, cheesy crawfish filling. I think I did it!
These are big biscuits, so we have to make sure we fry them longer to ensure that they aren’t doughy in the middle. I fry at 325 degrees F. This will allow the beignets to cook thoroughly without burning the outside.
Traditional beignets are topped with a sprinkling of powdered sugar. I decided to mimic the sugar and sift grated Parmesan on top!
Serve with Remoulade. It complements the flavors perfectly!
Look at that texture! These are very filling as well. One beignet per serving is more than enough.
- 1 lb crawfish tails (roughly chopped)
- 1 T liquid crab boil
- 3 T butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely diced bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 finely diced celery stalk
- 1 T minced garlic
- 2 T chopped fresh parsley
- 4 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 T Cajun or creole seasoning
- 2 16.3 oz cans biscuits (8 biscuits per can)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan (sifted)
- canola or vegetable oil for frying
- Toss crawfish tails in the liquid crab and set aside.
- In a skillet, melt the butter and add in the veggies.
- Sauté until translucent. About 2 mins.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese and veggie mixture well.
- Fold in the crawfish and shredded cheeses.
- Season with the Cajun or creole seasoning
- Stir well.
- On a floured surface, open the biscuits and separate them.
- Using your fingers or a rolling pin, flatten and spread each biscuit.
- Fill each with 1 T of the filling.
- Fold the biscuit dough over the filling and gently press the edges to seal.
- Heat canola oil in a deep fryer or skillet to 325 degrees F.
- Fry the beignets for 3-5 mins or until golden brown and done in the center.
- Place on paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.