Most Friday nights of my high school years ended at Taco Bell. It was the hang out after football and basketball games. But, now, the adult Coop’s digestive system is not a friend of the Bell. Whatever that “meat” is made of, does NOT agree with me anymore. Those Chicken Quesadillas were my favorite thing to order. It was just some about that Jalapeno sauce that I loved. So, of course I tried to come up with my own jacked up Chicken Fajita Quesadilla recipe for you guys.
Let’s talk Taco seasoning. I make my own. You can find the recipe here: http://coopcancook.com/taco-lasagna/ I like to season my chicken breast and rub it in good.
Onions and peppers add so much flavor. The sweetness of the red bell peppers is something special.
Monterrey Jack and Cheddar or Colby Jack cheeses are my favorite to use in quesadillas. Mexican blend is fine, but always shred your own cheese. The bagged stuff never melts right.
As for the sauce, it’s creamy with just the right kick of spice. It may not be a direct replica of the Taco Bell condiment, but I actually prefer it more!
- 1 lb thinly sliced chicken breast (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1-2 T taco seasoning (my recipe: http://coopcancook.com/taco-lasagna/ )
- 1/2 of an onion (sliced)
- 1/4 of a green bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 of a red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup Monterrey Jack cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup Cheddar or Colby Jack cheese (shredded)
- 3 burrito sized flour tortillas
- 1 T olive oil
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2-3 slices of picked jalapenos (finely minced, seeds removed)
- 1 T juice from jar of picked jalapenos
- 1 T paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt to taste
- Season chicken with taco seasoning
- Heat olive oil in a pan
- Add the chicken and allow it to cook on medium high heat.
- When the chicken is almost done, add in the onions and bell peppers
- Saute until chicken is cooked and veggies are translucent.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and spray it with cooking spray
- Take one tortilla and sprinkle cheeses on half of it.
- Top that same half with chicken and cover the chicken with more cheese
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling and add it to the skillet.
- Allow the quesadilla to heat until the cheese is melted and both sides of the tortilla is lightly browned.
- Mix all ingredients together well in a bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Add the sauce to the quesadilla with the cheese and chicken or serve it on the side for dipping.
Patricia MurphyAugust 30, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Hey coop I really enjoy your recipes, are you going to make a cookbook , it would be a bestseller. ☺️
B. CoopAugust 31, 2018 at 10:00 pm
Thanks so much, Patricia! Yes, a cookbook will happen!
Jerlesha CalahanSeptember 14, 2018 at 8:41 am
I see a Fajita Friday alertttttttt!!!! Thanks girl.. And yes please get us cookies a cook book soon..