Sesame Chicken Wings. They’re BOMB! You have to make them, so I will not waste anytime talking…
Please tell me that I’m not the only one that gets completely grossed out by the sight of raw chicken! YUCK! I can even touch it with my bare hands. I always use gloves. Still gonna eat them though.
Put the Deep Fryer Away! We have baking powder, baby! Baking powder helps our wings crisp up in the oven to give them the texture of deep fried wings. I use 1 tablespoon per pound of wings.
Then, line the longest baking sheet with parchment paper. Place your wings on top giving them some elbow room. Well, they don’t have elbows, but you know…room to breathe. Wait…
When you make this glaze, don’t panic at the quantity. It will be enough! You’re coating the bird not soaking them. If you want more sauce, just double the recipe. And if you like it spicy, add a tsp or two of cayenne pepper!
So, what’s your preference? Flats or drums?
- 3 lbs chicken wings
- 1 T Chinese 5 spice
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 2 T onion powder
- 2 T seasoning salt
- 3 T baking powder (1 T per pound of chicken wings)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 T honey
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 T hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp sesame seed oil
- 1 T cornstarch
- 1 T cold water
- 1-2 T sesame seeds
- garnish with green onions
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Mix all spices and baking powder together.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the chicken wings and toss to combine.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Use two baking sheets if needed.
- Place the wings onto the baking sheet with a little space in between wings.
- Bake for 15 mins.
- Take wings out and flip
- Bake for another 15 mins.
- Take wings out again and flip once more.
- Place back into the oven and allow them to bake for 10-15 more mins.
- Add the first 6 ingredients into a sauce pans and whisk together.
- Bring to a simmer on medium heat.
- Allow glaze to simmer for 2 mins.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and water together.
- Pour the cornstarch and water mixture into the saucepan with the glaze while whisk to allow lumps.
- Simmer for 30 secs or until glaze thickens.
- Stir in the sesame seeds.
- Place the wings in a large bowl and pour the glaze on top.
- Toss the wings to coat them with the glaze.
- Garnish with fresh green onions