This is the recipe you turn to when you’ve had a hard day, want some comfort, but don’t feel like looking at the kitchen. Take out just won’t do. You crave “REAL FOOD”! If you can relate to any of that, keep reading.
Trinity IS necessary
A good, full gravy needs the Trinity! The onions, bell peppers, and celery have to be finely chopped and smother in butter. Sauté it low and slow until they almost melt and release a ton a huge! That’s the foundation!
Stir Dat Roux, Sha!
I really need you to get over your fear of making a roux! There’s nothing to it! The gravy packs are cool. But, the flavor from making it homemade is unmatched. Here are some tips:
- Use a heavy bottomed pan. Cast iron or Magnalite are my favorites
- Keep the heat at a medium setting. Many will say you need high heat for a roux. Nope. Keep it steady for your nerves. Takes a little longer, but you’ll get there safely.
- DO NOT LEAVE THE STOVE! Chile, let that phone ring and the baby cry.
Use the chicken of your choice. I had some tenders in the freezer I needed to use. I just chopped them up and threw them in. Boneless, skinless thighs are my favorite. But, I was NOT going back to the store. It worked!
I know this looks weird. It’s nothing, but a can of Cream of Mushroom soup! I love the creaminess and flavor it adds to this gravy. If you’re not a fan of mushrooms, Cream of Chicken will work just fine.
Crock Pot Chicken and Gravy Recipe
- 1-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken
- 1 TBS poultry seasoning
- 1 TBS vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 bell pepper diced
- 1-2 celery stalks finely diced
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Seasoning salt or salt and pepper to taste
Chop chicken into chunks (optional: you may also leave it whole)
Season the chicken with poultry seasoning
Spray the inside of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray
Add the chicken
On the stove, heat the vegetable oil in a pan
Add in the onion, bell pepper, and celery
Sauté for 5 mins; remove and set aside
Add the butter to the same skillet; melt
Whisk in the flour
Continue stirring until the flour is no longer visible and the roux is a light, tan color
Stir in the chicken stock
Bring to a low simmer; remove from heat
Add the sautéed vegetables, cream of mushroom, and roux/chicken stock on top of the chicken in the slow cooker
Cook on LOW for 4 hrs. on HIGH for 2 hours
Taste and adjust seasoning
Serve over warm rice