Sometimes, you just want some simple, good ole Rice and Gravy! The fancy stuff is cute, but there are times when I just want to go back to my childhood taste buds. Parents challenge each other. Both my dad and mom make some delicious gravy steaks! It’s amazing what can be done with a cheap cut of meat and time.
Since these steaks aren’t that great in quality, they will need a little extra time to tenderize. So, that’s where the smothering comes in. Crank the heat down, throw a lid on, and let them simmer. After about an hour or so, they’ll be perfectly, fork tender.
I need this gravy to hold its own over that rice. This rice will never suck up my gravy! We want that thick, country gravy!
- 1 lb gravy steaks ( sirloin tip, eye of round, chuck steaks, etc. will work too)
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 T cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 T butter
- 1 sliced onion
- 1/2 sliced bell pepper
- 3 T flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- cajun seasoning to taste
- 2 cups cooked, white rice
- Pour Worcestershire sauce on steaks and rub it in.
- Season the meat with 1 T of cajun seasoning
- Place the 1/3 cup of flour onto a shallow plate
- Season the flour with the onion and garlic powders
- Dredge each steak in the flour and shake off the excess.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium high heat.
- Once, the oil heats up, add in the steaks.
- Brown the steaks on each side; about 1 min per side
- When the steaks are browned, place them on a plate and set aside.
- Add the butter to the same pan and allow it to melt
- Once the butter melts, add in the onions and bell peppers
- Saute until the onions begin to brown
- Sprinkle in the 3 T of flour and stir for 1 minute
- Pour in the beef broth while whisking to avoid lumps
- Bring the beef broth to a simmer
- Add the steak back into the pan
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid.
- Allow the meat and gravy to smother for about 1 hour or until the steak is tender (be sure to check often to prevent sticking.)
- Taste and adjusting seasoning as needed.
- Serve over warm rice.