No, you read the title right. We’re making pralines in the microwave!! AND it’ll take less than 10 mins of cooking time. I know you don’t believe me. So, watch this!
VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure you use a microwave safe, plastic bowl or container for this recipe. Do not use glass! The glass will cook the candy too fast and result in a burnt mess. Don’t ask how I know…
Not all microwaves are the same, of course. Mine is 700 watts. With that being said, use my timing as a bench mark. If your candy isn’t done after the last trip to the microwave, just put the candy back in 30 secs at a time until the consistency is right. *see video for examples* The mixture should be thicker and more bubbling. It will be slightly darker in color and almost appear to be burning. It isn’t.
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Pour the condensed milk into a plastic, microwave safe bowl or container
- Add in the sugar and the butter; do not stir
- Place bowl into the microwave for 3 mins
- Take it out and stir for 45 seconds.
- Place the bowl back into the microwave for 2 mins and 30 seconds.
- Take it out and stir for another 45 seconds.
- Place it into the microwave again for 2 mins*
- Remove the bowl and stir until the mixture stops bubbling; about 15-20 seconds
- Add in the vanilla extract and pecans
- Stir until the mixture thickens a little more and becomes harder to stir; about 45 seconds-1 min
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out spoonfuls onto waxed paper
- Allow 20 mins to cool and set.
- *Microwave watts differ. At this point, the mixture should be slightly darker and thicker. If not, place it back into microwave for 30 secs at a time until it reaches this point. See tutorial above for example.