For the past two date nights, we’ve dined in two different steakhouses. I’ve had the creamed spinach on both occasions and I’m pretty sure I could eat this stuff every single day! It’s so yummy! Spinach, cream cheese…you know what? I don’t even need to go any further. Let’s just hop in. Here’s the tutorial.
I used frozen spinach. Just thaw it and squeeze as much water from it as possible. Use good quality paper towels. We’re making creamed spinach. Not watery spinach. Squeeeeeeeeeze!
This recipe can also be made keto and low carb friendly. Just simply use heavy cream instead of the flour and half and half. The cream will thicken the sauce without the need for a roux. But, you could also use almond flour if you’d like to have a roux.
This is really the perfect side dish for any grilled meat or fish. If you like a little spice, add in some red pepper flakes. And don’t skip that nutmeg!
- 20 oz frozen chopped spinach (thawed)
- 3 T butter
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 T flour
- 1 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using paper towels, squeeze all excess water from spinach
- Melt butter in pan
- Add onions and saute for about 4 minutes
- Add garlic and saute for 30 secs
- Stir in flour for 1 min to cook out the flour taste
- Pour the half and half in.
- Add the Italian seasoning, onion powder, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in the cream cheese until it dissolves.
- Add in the spinach and stir for 2-3 mins to heat it
- Stir in the cheeses until they're melted
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.