I’m mad. Hurt. Disappointed. All of that. Oh, why you ask? Thanks for being so concerned. Well, I can’t find any dang LIGONBERRY JAM for my Swedish Meatballs! How am I gonna have a legit Swedish Meatball plate without the jam?? Like this…
Okay, I guess we’ll be fine without the jam. Especially if you serve it over egg noodles like me. But, man, is really amazing with mashed taters and LIGONBERRY JAM! Alright, I’m over it now. These meatballs are good. Like hella good.
Italian sausage is a must here. Yeah, yeah you can just use one type of meat, but that’s mad boring! Meatballs should never be boring! So, we have to add some flavorful, good stuff to it.
No raw onions. Saute them in butter. But, you have to allow them to cool before adding it to the meat. We don’t want to cook any pieces of the meat beforehand. Oh! And soak your breadcrumbs in that milk and egg mix.
I like to bake my meatballs, too. It’s just easier to get rid of the excess fat that way. And it eliminates that whole “browning” step as well. Just line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
Serve over egg noodles or mashed potatoes if you actually have that dang LIGONBERRY JAM! Still sad….I love you, guys.
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 large egg
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 finely chopped onions (sauteed)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp Allspice
- 1 T seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- fresh chopped parsley
- 5 T butter
- 3 T all purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or sour cream
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and saute the onions until slightly browned
- Allow the onions to cool completely
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and milk together
- Pour the bread crumbs into the mixture and allow to stand 5 mins.
- In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients.
- Then add in the onions and breadcrumb mixture.
- Mix well using your CLEAN hands (don't play with me! Wash your hands!)
- Using a 1 T measuring spoon, form meat mix into 1 inch meatballs.
- Space the meatballs evenly onto a parchment paper or foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 mins.
- Melt butter in a large pan
- Whisk the flour into the butter for 1 minute.
- Pour in the beef broth while whisking
- Bring it to a simmer
- Then, add in all remaining ingredients.
- Once gravy thickens, add in the meatballs, and reduce heat to a low simmer
- Simmer for 5-8 mins.
- Serve over egg noodles or mashed potatoes.