My favorite, local grocer makes these amazing, fresh chicken and green onions sausage! It’s delightful! And what I love most is that they use non-pork castings. I use them in almost every dish I make that has sausage as an ingredient. Naturally, I had to make a pasta dish with it. You know I love some dang pasta! And honey, this dish is beautiful! Photos don’t do it any justice. And flavors are balanced perfectly if I do say so myself. I’m super proud of my Chicken Sausage, Peppers, and Onions Linguine recipe.
I’m pretty obsessed with that Chicken and Green Onions sausage. It’s the best! But, if you can find anything similar, you can use Italian sausage. It will work as well. Keep in mind that these sausages aren’t smoked and you’ll have to ensure that it’s cooked all the way through. I do this, by steaming and browning.
The sweetness of the red and yellow peppers contrasted well with the flavors of the onions and sausages. Not to mention the sauce! Cold butter emulsified into the dry white wine and garlic was one thing. But, adding a bit of heavy cream and cajun spices really developed this sauce beautifully! I hope you will try it!
- 1 lb chicken or Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (sliced)
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 t minced garlic
- 2 T butter
- 1/2 chicken broth
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- Cajun or seasoned salt to taste
- 1/2 lb cooked linguine
- Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- Pour water into a skillet and bring to a boil
- Place the sausage in, lower heat to a simmer and cover with a lid
- Allow to simmer for 10 mins
- Flip the sausage over and continue cooking for another ten minutes
- Remove the sausage and drain off the water
- Heat oil in the skillet
- Add the sausage and fry on all sides until it browns
- Remove the sausage and allow it to rest before slicing
- Add the peppers in the skillet and sprinkle them with salt
- Saute the peppers until they start to soften
- Add in the onions and saute until the brown
- Slice the sausage and add it back into the pan
- Saute the sausage until they brown; about 3 mins
- Deglaze the pan with the wine
- Add in the garlic and butter
- Allow the butter to melt into the sauce; stir
- Pour in the chicken broth and simmer until the liquid reduces by half.
- Add in the heavy cream, onion and garlic powders, Italian seasoning, and Cajun seasoning.
- Continue to simmer until sauce thickens.
- Serve over warm linguine
- Sprinkle with cheese