Ok, Cookies. I know I post a lot of calorie packed recipes, but I do cook a lot of lighter meals. All of the time! I just thought they were too boring to post lol Shrimp & Grits are comfort food heaven. I make many variations of it. This one is as light as I can make it! Lol the flavors of the peppers, onions, and sausage together are just unreal! If you’re not a fan of cheese (Bless ya heart) this one’s for you! I served them over grits this time. But it pairs well with quinoa and yellow rice too. Hope you try it and Enjoy!
- 1 lb sliced sausage (I used Manda's chicken & green onion sausage. Amazing!!)
- 1 lb shrimp (31-40 count preferably)
- 1 of each -Yellow, red, and orange bell peppers (sliced)
- 1 yellow or white onion (sliced)
- 2 tsp Olive or Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup of dry white wine
- 1 cup of stone ground grits
- Low sodium chicken broth (measure according to package instructions on the grits)
- Himalayan Pink Salt or Garlic & Herb Mrs. Dash to taste
- Cook grits in chicken broth instead of water (follow the package instructions for measurements) in a saucepan.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onions, sweet red, yellow, and orange peppers in olive oil in a cast iron skillet. (man I love that thing!)
- Add in the sausage and swirl them around the skillet for about 4 mins.
- Pour in the white wine
- Season the shrimp with Garlic & Herb Mrs. Dash.
- Toss them into the skillet
- Let that simmer until the shrimp blush.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if need be.
- Serve it over the grits.
- Grits can be substituted with quinoa or rice. And this won't make you tipsy! The alcohol content of the white wine will cook out after 20-30 seconds of cooking.