One of my sweet Cookies asked for a French Toast recipe. Of course I had to give her a French Toast recipe. But, you already know it wasn’t gonna be plain, old French Toast. I decided to add on this sinfully delicious Caramelized Peaches and Cream topping! Breakfast will definitely feel like dessert came early with this one! Here’s how I make my Peaches and Cream French Toast…
The key ingredient…fresh, ripe peaches! I found these babies at the market. They were locally grown and I was sold! These things were huge too! One was more than enough for this recipe. But, if you’re not as blessed to find gigantic peaches, just double up on them.
Let’s talk about the topping! I didn’t want it overly sweet. These peaches were a little on the tart side which worked perfectly! The brown sugar and slight sourness of the peaches balanced better than I expected. I used salted butter as well. You know why? Sweets need salt!
A Trudy line from one of my favorite movies, “Steel Magnolias, came to mind when I sampled this dish. As Trudy suggested, I added a little cream to cut the sweetness. She was referring to ice cream. But, I use some freshly whipped cream.
This is definitely a daily breakfast item. But, it is the perfect, occasional brunch treat! Enjoy!!
- French Toast
- 4 slices of bread (brioche, artisan, or regular sandwich bread)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 T granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 T butter
- Pinch of salt
- Peach Topping
- 2 large, fresh peaches (pitted and sliced)
- 4 T salted butter
- 3 T brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 T rum (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 T powdered sugar
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and salt together well.
- Melt butter in a skillet.
- Dip both sides of the toast into the mixture and place it in the skillet.
- Heat until toast is golden brown on both sides.
- Allow toast to rest on a plate. Tint with foil to keep warm.
- Melt butter in the same skillet
- Stir in the brown sugar and heavy cream
- Heat the mixture until well combined and bubbly.
- Place the peaches in the pan.
- Allow to cook without stirring for 4 mins.
- Flip the peaches over and cook for 3 mins.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and rum.
- Pour the heavy cream and sugar into a chilled bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, mix the cream and sugar on HIGH until stiff peaks are formed.