My sweet aunt is recovering from surgery and can finally eat more than Jell-O and broth. Two weeks of bland food is torture! Coop to the rescue! I wanted to make something easy to eat, but packed with feel good flavor. This broccoli and cheese soup is it!
And I haven’t even told you the best part yet. I made it in under 30 minutes. I know, right?!?
- 4 T butter
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cup chicken broth
- 16 oz frozen broccoli florets (thawed)
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded or cubed American cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter
- Add onions and garlic; saute for 1 min
- Stir in the carrots
- Sprinkle in flour
- Stir until flour is no longer visible
- Pour in chicken broth
- Roughly chop the broccoli and add it into the pot
- Bring to simmer
- Lower heat, cover, and allow to cook for 15 mins
- Pour in the half and half
- Add the onion and garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add in the cheeses.
- Stir until cheese melts
- Turn off the heat and add in the nutmeg.
- Stir well.
- Serve with crackers or crusty bread.