You know I wouldn’t send you into the summer without a bomb Skirt steak recipe for the grill, right? I work hard choosing and developing flavors for you. Only the best for my Cookies. And when you try this recipe, you’ll know I’m telling you the truth.
Skirt steak is one of my favorite cuts of steak, because the thing can take some marinade. I’m all about flavor, so I loved creating this wet rub for the steaks. Skirt steak is not the tenderest cut. However, when you treat it right, it will melt in your mouth.
Speaking of overdoing it…do NOT overcook this steak. Skirt steak is not meant to be cooked well done. I don’t believe any steak is, but we won’t go there today. I only cook them for one minute per side. Perfect every time.
Coop, what the hell is Chimichurri Sauce?? Glad you asked. It’s an Argentina condiment that loves to be boo’d up with steak. Especially, Skirt steak. I mean, they were made for each other. It’s also delicious on fish, chicken, and even pasta. It’s makes an amazing pasta salad!
- 2 lbs skirt steak
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley (firmly packed)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 T red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using a pairing knife, make small, shallow cuts into the surface of the steak
- Coat the steak with olive oil on both sides.
- In a small bowl, mix all of the wet rub ingredients together.
- Rub half of the mixture on one side of the steak and the remaining half on the other side.
- Place in a zip lock or marinading bag
- Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- Remove the steak from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temp.
- Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or stove top grill until it starts to release smoke.
- Brush the skillet or grill lightly with olive or vegetable oil
- Lay the steak on the skillet or grill and cook 1 minute per side.*
- Remove the steak, tent it with aluminum foil, and allow it to rest for 5-10 mins before slicing.
- Slice the steak against the grain.
- Top with Chimichurri sauce
- Place all ingredients (except salt and pepper) into a food processor and pulse until well combined into a paste.
- Pour into a bowl and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 mins before serving**
- *Do NOT overcook! This isn't a steak you cook well done. It will turn into a rubber glove.
- **Chimichurri sauce will last for up to 2 days in the fridge if stored in a tightly sealed container.