No, you read the title right. We’re making pralines in the microwave!! AND it’ll take less than 10 mins of cooking time. I know you don’t believe me. So, watch this!
VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure you use a microwave safe, plastic bowl or container for this recipe. Do not use glass! The glass will cook the candy too fast and result in a burnt mess. Don’t ask how I know…
This recipe is so easy, breezy I’m trying to make up things to say to lengthen this post. LOL! The ingredients are simple. However, I suggest using quality brands.
Not all microwaves are the same, of course. Mine is 700 watts. With that being said, use my timing as a bench mark. If your candy isn’t done after the last trip to the microwave, just put the candy back in 30 secs at a time until the consistency is right. *see video for examples* The mixture should be thicker and more bubbling. It will be slightly darker in color and almost appear to be burning. It isn’t.
This method will change the way you see Praline candy making. It can be a nerve wrecking task! I’ve failed so many times. But, this recipe works like a charm.
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Pour the condensed milk into a plastic, microwave safe bowl or container
- Add in the sugar and the butter; do not stir
- Place bowl into the microwave for 3 mins
- Take it out and stir for 45 seconds.
- Place the bowl back into the microwave for 2 mins and 30 seconds.
- Take it out and stir for another 45 seconds.
- Place it into the microwave again for 2 mins*
- Remove the bowl and stir until the mixture stops bubbling; about 15-20 seconds
- Add in the vanilla extract and pecans
- Stir until the mixture thickens a little more and becomes harder to stir; about 45 seconds-1 min
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out spoonfuls onto waxed paper
- Allow 20 mins to cool and set.
- *Microwave watts differ. At this point, the mixture should be slightly darker and thicker. If not, place it back into microwave for 30 secs at a time until it reaches this point. See tutorial above for example.